The National Science Foundation (NSF) administers the Presidential Awards Program for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) program for the White House which began the program in 1983 to improve teaching in mathematics and the sciences. The PAEMST program is operated under contract from NSF which subcontracts with both the Council of State Science Supervisors (see below) and the Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics (ASSM).
Each year, three state-level finalists are chosen by the statewide selection committees composed of teachers, administrators, supervisors, and college or university mathematics and science educators. These committees are directed by the State PAEMST Coordinators who follow the guidelines below. In alternate years, the process will focus on K-6 or 7-12 teachers. Visit www.paemst.org website for more information.
CSSS Presidential Awards Coordinator
2012 State Finalists (xls)
STATE COORDINATOR GUIDELINES
Each state coordinator should work with their Selection Committee to:
- Ensure that the state level selection committee has a revolving membership and is always open to those who have not served previously.
- Keep an accurate record of factual data on committee members such as organizational representation, number of times served, dates served, discipline, specialties, etc.
- Ensure that both content and pedagogical expertise are represented on the Selection Committee at the K-6 panel for elementary, as well as for the secondary 7-12 panel.
- Ensure that applications that do not meet the published criteria (whether for failing to follow the guidelines to the letter, false science content, or other appropriate reasons are rejected and not sent to the National Selection Committee).
The state coordinator will keep records on the applications from underrepresented groups to:
- Ensure that active recruitment of potential nominees, especially those of underrepresented groups, is undertaken.
- Keep an accurate record of special means or procedures used to reach the underrepresented population of teachers.
- Ensure that recognition of both the state level and the national awardees is undertaken in each state or jurisdiction.
- Keep an accurate record of award activities held for awardees (along with any support materials, news releases, brochures, etc.) any organizations or institutions involved with the award recognition.
The state coordinator will keep keep records and submit reimbursements:
- Keep accurate financial records and submit reimbursement requests before August 15 each year.
- Keep an accurate record of the number of brochures distributed, the area of distribution, and the audience to whom they are directed.
- Keep an accurate record of the number of requests for nomination packets. area from which received, and grade level of nominee.
- Keep an accurate record of number of completed nomination packets, area from which received, and grade level of nominee.
The state coordinator will coordinate the award processes in their states with CSSS:
- Keep an accurate log of of problems and issues involved in the selection process.
- May coordinate selection and recognition procedures with other PAEMST state coordinators within a state.
- Give special attention to nominees that are not selected to encourage them to resubmit in following years.
- Keep an accurate record of the state's in-kind contributions (postage, staff time, etc.) to the PAEMST program.
State Coordinators conduct their state presidential activities. This includes promoting awareness, the application, selection, and recognition phases and utilization of the talents of the awardees. Each coordinator should make sure their reimbursements receipts do not exceed $4,000.00 and then send the CSSS Presidential Award reimbursement form (doc) and all their receipts to:
PAEMST Coordinator for CSSS
614 Indian Hills Drive
St. Charles, MO 63301-0561